Louis Philippe period Sevres porcelain scenic cabinet plate decorated with a gilded pink border surrounding a central hand painted view of the Chateau de Veauce. Circa 1840s. Titled on the reverse and bearing the Chateau des Tuileries red back stamp and Sevres factory Louis Philippe period blue monogram stamp. Made for J.E. Caldwell & Co., Philadelphia. Size: 9.5 inches diameter. Excellent condition with no chips, cracks, scratches, or restoration, and with hardly any noticeable wear to gilding. This example is one of several exquisitely painted plates on offer, each displaying a view of a different French chateau. The royal porcelain factory at Sevres was reorganized during the reign of Louis Philippe, under the direction of Alexandre Brongniart (1770-1847). A talented administrator and scientist, Brongniart developed a new formula for 'hard paste' porcelain, replacing the more costly to produce 'soft paste' wares of the 18th century. He also introduced a new range of pigments with which to color the porcelains, making it possible to produce wares as richly toned as, and often imitative of, oil paintings.